You are a hotelier with a well-known Hotel Operations Software which has been in existence for over 10 years. Well, the chances are that you are paying an exorbitant sum to use that piece of software.
Expensive Software. Basic Usage.
Frankly speaking, some of the numbers that we have heard, what hoteliers pay for hotel operations software to legacy vendors, is painful to say the least. Some of the vendors that have been in the market for the last 2 decades end up simply overcharging and the benefits in no way offsets the costs.
Most of these vendor applications have innovated very little and the UI is complex and require a solid training infrastructure to support them.
However, they benefit from legacies of the past. Which is why many hoteliers still go ahead with them, not out of the fact that they really believe that these apps will deliver value for money, but it is safe to do so.
Mostly, what happens is that these heavy applications tend to be used only for basic task management because users end up knowing only a limited part of the same over a course of time. Due to the turnover in this industry, ifthe training cannot be sustained, the first hit would be these applications. Their usage reduces to just basics. And since most of these are tied up with long term contracts, the hotels find it difficult to wriggle out of it.
7 Red Flags that should make you rethink your Hotel Operations Software
We have compiled a set of red flags that every hotelier can use to navigate to safety before they end up signing with an expensive vendor. These red flags not only apply to legacy vendors but can also be applied to any vendor (even the fancier new ones).
- 🚩 : If the full feature application results in a first years outflow of more than US$ 10,000 and is coupled with a long term contract – Run!
- 🚩 : If the application is tied to a long term contract – Proceed with caution!
- 🚩 : If the application pricing is based on the number of rooms – Proceed with caution!
- 🚩 : If you are a user, and you are not able to transfer the knowledgeto another user in less than 10 minutes – Proceed with caution!
- 🚩 : The application requires more than 1 day of training (not applicable to large properties) – Proceed with caution!
- 🚩 : The application mandates onsite training – Run!
- 🚩 : If the installation requires you to submit more than the list of users, Rooms and escalation matrix to setup a Hotel task management solution – Proceed with caution!
The Pandemic has resulted in hotels trying to cut budgets and staffing with many suffering huge financials losses due to the long term outage. In these times, it is imperative that we really scrutinize every penny being spent and ensure that if the guest can achieve the same level of satisfaction with an alternative more affordable vendor.
The time has come for the hotel industry to shake up the past and enter the future with something new, affordable and with something which works.